Saturday, January 21, 2012

Passing off glorified pig ears in "Gringolandia!"

Ok, now I just saw a flashy young Ecuadorian dude wearing - platform tennis shoes!!  I've got to get a picture of those things!  crazy looking.  And he was the height of fashion!  That's how these hipsters roll in Marsupial Sucre, otherwise known as "Gringolandia!"  I feel very unsafe.  That's it.  I have no intention of cruisin around on a Saturday night in Gringolandia!""  I ate my first Ecuadorian meal (wanted to take a picture but thought I'd be pushing the "image" to it's edge) that was pork, mysterious crispy thing (pretty sure it was a glorified pig ear), corn popped like a vegetable you'd take to the movies and a cheese grit type thing shaped like flan.  It was all pretty damned good!  I left the mysterious crispy thing thinking all the while of ol' Spike.  I'd definitely be taking that home to him if if if.    One thing that cracks me up - no matter where I go, I forget how much other countries like their water "with gas."  Ecuadorians are no different.  I had my gaseous water and burped all the way back to the hotel.


Anyhow, my thought of now is that the old historic area of Quito is far safer and cooler than this place.  In every respect!  If I were to come back I'd stay at the San Fransico Hotel for about $40 a night right in among all of those gorgeous churches.   Sometimes paying less isn't worth it.  I liked Colonial House but the walk was down the steepest cobblestone hill and back up another huge a** hill and man!  We're at over 9,000 feet and you FEEL it!

No comments:

Post a Comment